Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 24, 2017, 07:19:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
King Diamond thanks his cats, Ghost and Magic, by name in each of his CD booklets.
632511 Posts in 2787 Topics by 252061 Members
Latest Member: johnny allerdyce (pyro)
* Home Help Search Calendar Arcade Member Map Login Register
Mindless Self Indulgence  |  MSI Main Arena  |  Mindless Banter (Moderators: Bill H, Danny, Urine_Trouble)  |  Topic: Dear MLZ
Pages: 1 ... 139 140 [141] 142   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Dear MLZ  (Read 229382 times)
Danny
deus ex machina
Administrator
Board Whore

I AINT SCARED

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2100 on: September 06, 2010, 06:44:10 PM »

Dear MLZ,

First of all, Hi!!! it's been a while. how are you??

I was recently demoted from my position at work because of "budget cuts."
It wasn't only me who was, there were 10 other people demoted, but I don't feel it was for budget reasons.  We only made an extra dollar and hour, and it's not even every shift we work.  The best perk was a constant good schedule.  I'm a server, so I'm losing out on a minimum of $500 a week with the demotion, but the money didn't come from the restaurant at all. They told me I will be most likely re-promoted in 2 months once we start to pick up again.  I feel like what the did, and the way they did it was a slap in the face after the 3 years I've been busting my ass to do everything they ask, and even more than what's expected of me.  I'm very tempted to outright quit because i feel like what they did was very disrespectful.  I would like an outside opinion.
<3 Auti

Dear Auti,

I'm well. I see from Bob's recent photo sharing that you seem well, also.

I've had to take a pay-cut in the past myself. Not a good feeling. Your instinct is to be insulted and to walk out with middle fingers blazing... don't do it. Take a deep breath and just chill the fuck out like any emotionally stable person would.

The service industry can be pretty volatile - as it is directly effected by seasons, economic pressures and other potentially unforeseen variables. What you have to understand is when cutbacks need to be made, it's not personal [as evidenced by the fact that ten of your coworkers are in a similar position]. Such is the nature of the service industry. However, if the case had been that you were singled-out for some arbitrary reason or another, then you'd be justified in standing up for yourself [by either making demands or simply walking out with two weeks notice].

My suggestions to you would be;

1) Ride it out for two months until the holiday season rolls around and business picks up. Management is probably trying to thin the herd to bring in some fresh meat at minimum wage and cut overhead. Let a handful of frustrated coworkers walk, then be there to reap the rewards after they've gone. However, be aware that if things do get better, they will inevitably go south again as these trends are cyclical.

2) Be faithful, but look for a side-piece/upgrade. Use your 3+ years of experience to your advantage and seek a position at a more cultured/prestigious/upscale establishment. There should be a direct correlation between median menu price and tips/wages. Drop in at some swanky cabaret lounge or just review your local Zagat Survey for potential employer upgrades in your area.

3) Strip club.

... no, seriously. Servers make lots of money without having to take their clothes off or touch dirty old men... So I've heard.

4) Bartender. Go to a sports bar or some place old people frequent. You may even get a sugar-daddy out of it. Boobs are a plus for applicants.

5) GTFO of the service industry. Find a good old 9 to 5 with benefits. I'm not sure what your education level is or what area(s) of expertise you "expertize" in, but a solid entry-level position in a company that has potential for upward mobility would probably offer more financial stability. You could even moonlight as a server/bartender for added income if it became necessary.

Sidebar: Use protection. If you have a kid at this point, you're fucked.

I hope that helps. I'm a little out of practice.

Good Luck,

---
"... Never say never because limits, like fears, are often just an illusion." - #23
Being Heartless Jersey
Board Whore

View Profile
« Reply #2101 on: September 06, 2010, 10:30:00 PM »

MLZ -

You still in Bergen Co?

Why don't we hang out more?

I could use your skillz to pick up on some of the women on your periphs.

- Jersey

My enemy, my parents. They make me sick of life, they are racist against punk (see their level...) and ... oh fuck's sake. I define them as monsters. Hope they die very quickly and soon.
Danny
deus ex machina
Administrator
Board Whore

I AINT SCARED

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2102 on: September 06, 2010, 10:43:22 PM »

MLZ -

You still in Bergen Co?

Why don't we hang out more?

I could use your skillz to pick up on some of the women on your periphs.

- Jersey

Sean,

My east-coasting days are numbered. Sorry I never made it out to play paintball with you. I may be free to partake in mid/late October, let me know if anything is going on that wouldn't be too intense for a novice and that wouldn't require any extensive investment in gear. If that works out, we can follow-up with a night out so I can play wingman.

Good Luck,

---
"... Never say never because limits, like fears, are often just an illusion." - #23
Being Heartless Jersey
Board Whore

View Profile
« Reply #2103 on: September 06, 2010, 10:48:47 PM »

The easy coast will miss

My enemy, my parents. They make me sick of life, they are racist against punk (see their level...) and ... oh fuck's sake. I define them as monsters. Hope they die very quickly and soon.
HEY!! you suck!!
go die!!
Board Whore

whatev

View Profile
« Reply #2104 on: September 07, 2010, 11:36:46 AM »

Update:
I haven't quite yet, I may still quit, if I get a job that pays the same.
I don't think I will take the promotion again if they re-offer it, it's a lot of extra work off the clock.

I did get hired as a cocktail server at a burlesque lounge. it's only one night a week, but anything extra helps.
I also have an interview set up to be a bartender at Buffalo Wild Wings, just in time for football season Smiley

I would love to get out of the service industry, but I unfortunately have no experience in anything else. I completed some college, but hated it, so I dropped out. I don't really have any other options at the moment  Undecided
I'll keep you posted on what I do, Thanks for the advice!

.... oh and no need to worry about me getting knocked up. I'm goooooooood on kids, I'm very careful

MegaBob
Board Whore

SUSAN GRAVER!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2105 on: September 07, 2010, 11:30:27 PM »

Hahahah fuckin BWW workin crew right here. I'm glad those days are behind me now. You'll fall into something awesome that you like Auti. Just always keep your eyes and ears open for new and better jobs. I went from buffalo wild wings into working in a cooshy office job at a place that pertains to music...so yeah. Shit gets better. In the mean time, you'll be making bank at b dubs.  Kiss

Being Heartless Jersey
Board Whore

View Profile
« Reply #2106 on: September 08, 2010, 08:09:12 PM »

go back to BWW and root for the buckeyes

Bill H
Administrator
Board Whore

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2107 on: November 11, 2010, 05:00:30 PM »

Dear Danny,
  I know this question will probably make you cringe but is it bad news bears to put sneakers in a washer/dryer?  I have a pair of Adidas that are old and beat up from wearing them in water so they are pretty much ruined anyway.  Should I toss them and get a new pair or is it worth a try? 

-H

Urine_Trouble
God of Meat and Long Hair
Administrator
Board Whore

more than meets the eye

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2108 on: November 22, 2010, 07:13:31 PM »

Saw this and thought of you

http://jalopnik.com/5696485/nike-60-se-delorean-dunks-to-the-future

CRUNK = when  nigga like patty is hittin the drugs and alkie so hard hes higher than giraffe pussy
if this girl im gonna get with has fuzzy tits
I'll think of you whenever im doing her
Danny
deus ex machina
Administrator
Board Whore

I AINT SCARED

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2109 on: December 10, 2010, 01:10:09 AM »

Dear Danny,
  I know this question will probably make you cringe but is it bad news bears to put sneakers in a washer/dryer?  I have a pair of Adidas that are old and beat up from wearing them in water so they are pretty much ruined anyway.  Should I toss them and get a new pair or is it worth a try? 

-H

I addressed this live on that TourCrush chat, but Cliffs Notes:

If they are beat and you are simply looking to extend the life of the shoe, go ahead and throw them in the washer. Worst case, your beat shoes will still be beat, but clean. Make sure you take the insoles out as the foam will harden and become uncomfortable after the wash/dry.

Disclaimer: This advice does not apply to newer shoes that are in good condition. A toothbrush and sneaker cleaner are generally the way to go.

---
Danny
deus ex machina
Administrator
Board Whore

I AINT SCARED

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2110 on: December 10, 2010, 01:12:58 AM »

Thanks.

When I first heard of these about a month back, I was like, "Damn, I've got to have those DeLorean shoes."

However, after some contemplation I amended my thought process to, "Damn, I've got to have a DeLorean."

---
Danny
deus ex machina
Administrator
Board Whore

I AINT SCARED

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2111 on: December 19, 2014, 10:26:12 PM »

... 4 Years Later...

---
Being Heartless Jersey
Board Whore

View Profile
« Reply #2112 on: December 20, 2014, 10:09:18 PM »

show me dem shoes

Erik
FKA OldMan

My banner is magic. Go ahead, try it.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2113 on: September 21, 2015, 02:55:53 PM »

Dear MLZ,

No questions. Just wanted to share my excitement over finding my old sig banner again.

Erik

Danny
deus ex machina
Administrator
Board Whore

I AINT SCARED

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2114 on: May 07, 2016, 09:54:53 PM »

Dear MLZ,

No questions. Just wanted to share my excitement over finding my old sig banner again.

Erik

I still have every signature image I ever made here saved in my laptop. Yours is one of my favorites.

---
Pages: 1 ... 139 140 [141] 142   Go Up
Print
Mindless Self Indulgence  |  MSI Main Arena  |  Mindless Banter (Moderators: Bill H, Danny, Urine_Trouble)  |  Topic: Dear MLZ
Jump to: